How to Care for Your Hair Extensions
Hair extensions are a life saver, especially if you do not want to rock your natural hair every day. A good hair extension could last for months. However, if you want your precious hair extensions to retain its beauty and lushness, you need to take care of it.
Hair extensions are not like your natural hair. They require extra care and attention. Don’t know how to care for your extensions? Here are a few tips to guide you:
How to Take Care of Your Hair Extensions
- Brush gently: Hair extensions are wont to tangle and knot. To ensure that they don’t tangle, you need to brush your hair extensions every day. Do not brush them without care. Rather, you should run a brush through it. Do not brush your roots as you could pull out your extensions. Run your finger through your roots and then brush the extension. You can brush your hair extensions when they are dry or wet. However, it is best to wash them when they are dry or semi-dry.
- Do not leave your hair down before going to bed: Putting up your hair at bedtime can be quite stressful. It’s tempting to let your hair down at bedtime. However, this is a quick way to kill your hair extensions. Leaving your hair down makes it easier for your extensions to tangle and knot. Hence, you should always braid your hair or put it in a high ponytail before going to bed. You can purchase long and short silk bonnets from Self Glamour to take care of your hair.
- Wash with care: Contrary to what most people think, hair extensions should not be washed in a careless manner. Washing your extensions without proper care would cause it to frizz. Your hair extensions should be washed and conditioned with non- alcohol products.
- Don’t rub. Squeeze: After washing hair extensions, a lot of people tend to rub their hair. This usually causes the hair extensions to frizz and tangle. After washing, you should gently squeeze the hair extension. This would help you to get all the water out without causing frizz. After squeezing, brush the extension from top to bottom.
- Apply the right products: Some products can strip your hair extensions of its gloss and lushness. You should avoid products which contain alcohol at all costs. Use quality products for your hair extensions as the wrong product could damage them.
How to Wash Your Hair Extensions
You need to brush your hair extensions before washing. This would help to prevent tangling. When washing your hair extensions, do not flip your head upside down. Doing this would encourage tangling. Stand upright and wet your hair.
It is important to use a sulfate-free shampoo. Once your hair is completely wet, lather the shampoo into your hair. Gently massage your scalp but do not upset the bonds. Stroke the rest of the hair in order to achieve full coverage.
Once this is done, you can go on to rinse off the shampoo. It is important to rinse your hair extensions thoroughly as any remnant product could cause itching.
After rinsing, apply a huge amount of conditioner to the mid-lengths and ends of your hair extensions. Leave the conditioner to sit for a few minutes and then rinse it off.
Squeeze gently and then brush it out.
Your hair extensions would retain lushness and gloss with these few tips.